The summer of 2017 heralds a change in Chevrolet’s full-size SUV lineup; with the 2018 Chevy Traverse scheduled to debut in the coming months. It is being considered by many as a much-awaited upgrade to its predecessor which has been in the market since its launch in 2009.
2018 Chevy Traverse – Powertrain
Expect the new Traverse to come with two engine variants; a turbocharged 4-cylinder and a V6 version. The 4-cylinder version, also identified as the RS trim, is equipped with a 2.0-liter turbocharged powerplant, producing close to 255 hp and with an impressive 300 lb-ft of torque. Its V6 counterpart comprises of a 3.6-liter engine that churns out 305 hp at almost 260 lb-ft of torque.
Both engines operate with a 9-speed automatic transmission that delivers power to the front wheels, while an all-wheel drive option is also available. When it comes to fuel economy, the 2018 Chevy Traverse uses a smart start/stop engine function that minimizes fuel wastage. So, the 4 cylinder version is expected to give about 24 mpg on the highway and 20 mpg in cities. The V6 variant is speculated to give more than 25 mpg on highways and 18 mpg in the city.
2018 Chevy Traverse – Exterior Outlook and Interior
On comparison with its older version, Chevy Traverse 2018 is almost 350 pounds lighter. Aesthetics wise, an additional two inches have been added to the wheelbase; which has resulted in a longer stance. Along with the increase in length, height and width are also expected to be more than the 2009 model.
It is expected to come with two sets of 17-inch steel wheels and a standard spare one. The 2018 Chevy Traverse will also feature state of the art LED lighting, prominent chrome accents and a pair of round shaped fog lamps in front. The outlook of a vehicle is available in two options; a sporty RS version and a High Country trim version.
According to Chevy, this new version of Traverse will have the capacity to seat 8 people in a 2-3-3 layout; with the 2nd and 3rd row of seats being flat foldable for maximization of storage capacity. Coming to storage capacity, expect the newer model to have approximately 99 cubic feet of storage space, a little lower than the 116 cubic feet offered by 2009’s Chevy Traverse. Some other features that 2018 Chevy Traverse is expected to come with are as follows:-
- Enhanced information center for drivers, fitted with features personalized to the person’s needs.
- An advanced entertainment system featuring a 5-inch touch sensitive screen with a CD player, Color Touch radio set up and standard USB ports.
- For uninterrupted connectivity, Traverse comes with a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot and OnStar 4G LTE to enable 4G surfing speeds.
Chevrolet is a brand that has always pushed for customer safety. So, it is not surprising to see this new vehicle to be packed with the latest safety features available. The 2018 Chevy Traverse is set to come with:
- Standard Traction Control for a superior grip over a variety of terrain.
- Daytime Running Lamps are also being provided.
- A camera enabled parking to assist for an easier reverse driving experience.
- A highly intelligent Teen Driver mode that helps in assisting young drivers in order to mitigate risks of road mishaps.
- Advanced sensors fitted to various parts of the vehicle enables automatic braking systems for reduction or avoidance of collision.
In conclusion, one can expect this new 2018 Chevy Traverse to carve out its own niche in a highly competitive SUV market, provided it performs as well as its predecessor.
2018 Chevy Traverse – Price and Release Date
Chevrolet claims that the new model is still a full sized SUV, built on GM’s Lambda platform. It is set to maintain the proportions of its older counterpart, with a few minor adjustments. The Chevy Traverse 2018 is expected to be priced anywhere from $30,000 to $40,000.